August 25, 2009
1. Koreans of a certain generation/ilk dye their hair into their 80's. It's normal, like cutting your fingernails. So anyone with grey hair, especially anyone under 50, at least in the eyes of this group, looks a) ancient b) ungroomed to the point of being disheveled.
2. My mother in law is Korean and of this certain generation/ilk.
3. For almost a decade she's been urging me to "Look younger. Feel better."
4. For a recent family wedding I decided to make my mother in law happy.
5. And that is how I found myself in the Jung Won Beauty Salon. The dying procedure was observed by my mother in law, her father, her sister, her sister's husband, a Pastor, and a couple of kids.
Mother-in-law: "You look sooo handsome now. Not like old man. Before you look sooo old."
Grandfather [laughing]: "Before you were older than me. Now, not so bad."
Mother-in-law's sister: "Yeah, you looked terrible. This is so nice."
Pastor Shin: "I really like the reddish color." It looks great!"
7. I forgot to mention that the hair lady decided to make my hair an unnatural looking dark red color. Yup.
1. After 3 weeks of hiding under a baseball cap, the correction.